Veg Manchuria is an Indo – Chinese fusion recipe. My way of preparing it comes with a twist of not using all purpose flour . I have also used fresh Tomato puree instead of tomato sauce
Note: My 1 cup is 240 grams/ml, 1 tablespoon -15 grams/ml, 1 teaspoon-5 grams/ ml and 1 kg is 2.2 pounds.
Rice Flour- 1 cup
Corn Flour- 1/2 cup
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Indian Garam masala powder Recipe :Take equal amounts of clove, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, whole pepper and cumin and powder together to make home made masala.
Chopped green chilly -1 teaspoon
Chilly Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Onion – 1 Large
Chopped Cilantro (Coriander leaves) -1 teaspoon
Chopped fresh Garlic – 1 teaspoon
Chilli Sauce – 2 teaspoons
Fresh ginger Garlic paste- 2 teaspoons
Soya Sauce – 1 teaspoon
Tomato Sauce – 1 teaspoon ( for the final glossy look)
Tomato blended into puree – 3 large
Carrot – 1 large
Potato – 1 large
Cabbage chopped- 1/2 cup
Lemon juice – from 1/2 Lemon
baking soda – a pinch
Salt – as required
Oil- for Deep frying the manchuria balls ( Any cooking oil, I used coconut oil)
1. Peel and cut the potato and Carrot into big pieces and cook till it softens ( 3 whistles if you are pressure cooking). Allow it to cool, Mash potato and carrot separately.
2. Now mix the mashed potato, mashed carrot, rice flour , corn flour ,chilly powder ,salt, garam masala powder, 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste, 1/2 chopped Onion, chopped cabbage and baking powder in a bowl into a smooth dough. Sprinkle water if required.
3. Take small portions of the mix like very small balls and deep fry in oil until golden brown. Keep the fried Manchuria aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate pan and add chopped Garlic, chopped green chilly. Stir for a minute. Add 1/2 chopped onion with a pinch of salt and saute for a minute. To this, add 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste and saute for one more minute.
5.Add Soya Sauce and Saute for 1/2 minute. Add chilli sauce and Tomato puree and bring it to a boil.
6. Add the fried Manchuria and simmer for 1 minute till Gravy starting thickening .
7. Add Tomato sauce , give it a mix . Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped cilantro.
You may use all purpose flour instead of Rice flour , I am just doing it the healthy way.
If you need more gravy to this recipe, just mix a spoon of corn flour to half a cup of water without lumps and add before you switch off the flame. But I find it tastier when it is semi – gravy type.
Please add chilly sauce, green chilly and chilly powder according to your spice levels.